Monday, January 23, 2017

Do They Make Songs for Car Elevators? - Weeks 83, 84 and 85

I had my last week in Valence and it consisted of me eating at a lot of members houses. Like it wasn't until Saturday when we had to make our own dinner. The mission is rough sometimes. 

After getting transfer calls, we were busy all weekend so I didn't have time to pack until Sunday night, and after having packed a few times on my mission, I've become pretty efficient at it. I'm honestly just impressed I was able to fit everything in suitcases. I accumulate more and more stuff every time I change cities yet I always manage to fit everything in my bags. Then the next morning I headed out for the city of Lyon again. I was there about 9 months ago when I was working in the mission office. I also realized that Porte des Alpes (ward name) will now be the fourth city that I've served in the Lyon stake. Also, I have always had the dream to finish my mission in Lyon. And well look, here we are. 

On the train ride up to Lyon we went through this huge snow storm and so it was looking like I might actually have a cold winter. But when I actually got there, there actually wasn't any snow, just wind blowing for four straight days. And I don't know how many of you have walked around in the cold while the wind is blowing, but you just feel like a giant icicle walking around. Luckily though, one night we were out trying to go and visit a few members and one of the older couples were home and gave us some hot chocolate and cake. 

But back to Monday. After getting in, we ended up just walking around for a while with some other Lyon missionaries. Since a lot of missionaries don't ever get to serve in Lyon or really see a lot of it, it's fun to look around when you have the chance on transfer day. We went by the office on Monday and the Mahaffeys were pretty excited for me to be back around. Too bad they're only here for another six weeks before they go home. I do the translation for Sister Mahaffey during sacrament meetings every week. Since apparently sitting in an office all day speaking English isn't the best way to learn French. 

The church that we use here in Lyon is brand new. It was dedicated last November and is in the middle of the city so instead of deciding to build a normal building and making it one floor and pretty big they just decided to make it five floors. Can't say you see those around all the time. And they didn't have a ton of room for parking, of course, so they actually put a car elevator that goes down another floor to have more parking. Cool. Cool cool cool. And yes I did ride in it. 

Also funny thing that happened on Sunday. There was a baptism from another ward that we ended up going to. It was for a girl from Africa who knows a ton of people and a lot of her friends that came were members, but a lot were not. Well right when she was baptized you could hear one of her friends that was in the back yell "One more time!" and then all the members who know what's up just sat and laughed to themselves. And then after the baptism, there were three different African ladies stand up and preach about Jesus. Definitely not a normal Mormon baptism in Utah. 

It's pretty fun just to be in Lyon because there are people everywhere and seeing missionaries around all the time. I'm excited for the next few months and to see what else happens while I'm here.

Have a great week!