Monday, June 13, 2016

Year One in the Books - Week 53

Hey everyone. It’s me. Still out here in good ol’ France enjoying enough pastries for all of us. You can thank me later. But this was actually a pretty solid week. With all the strikes and things going on, we didn't leave at all but it’s nice to be able to stick around in your little city you call home. 

Something I did learn this week though, was that France has A LOT of cherry trees. I swear the city changed a couple shades of red this last week. We were out trying to find a couple of houses and then all of a sudden we found a cherry tree full of perfect cherries. And luckily since I'm tall, I was able to get to all the ones that were still there. I guess there is a couple of perks to being tall. The rest of the week we found a bunch of other trees full of them and had our fair share. Another random thing about cherries, a member called us this week and said she was outside our apartment and gave us a bag of cherries. I guess cherries are a popular thing here. I'm not complaining.

Being a missionary in France, the visas we get at the beginning of our mission are only good for a year and so right around the year mark of our mission, you get to go and walk into a French government building, tell them you're a foreigner and then wait in a line to give them all these papers to tell them you are here legally and all that good stuff. I got to the front of the line and realized I forgot a certain part of my visa from when I first got to France back at the apartment. We left, went and grabbed that paper and came back and then she told me I didn't have my birth certificate in my stack of papers, we went back to the apartment again and after searching for a little bit I finally found it to prove that I'm American. If my height and style didn’t give it away already. But luckily I got that all figured out and get to go back in 5 to 9 weeks to pick up the new visa. Just so you do not think I am that absent minded, every prefecture requires different paperwork and I didn’t totally know what I needed to bring with me. 

Also this week, we had interviews with our President but since it’s a little hard to get everyone up to Lyon to do face to face ones, we've just been doing them over Skype. Well just as my luck has it, my comp and I were the last two to do interviews with him. Good thing I have a last name that starts with a W and was always last in line in elementary school so I'm used to it. But they ended being about a half an hour behind schedule so we sat and talked with Sister Brown, President's wife, for a good 10 minutes about BYU sports. For those who actually follow it like I do, they used to be next door neighbors with BYU’s new head football coach. Mormons have a small world. 

As part of our week, we have our weekly crepe night that we do at the church for anyone who wants to come. Normally it’s just members and a bunch of our investigators. You may be thinking, yeah what’s so special about that? Well you see, one of the regulars who comes just had a friend come back from England and bought some peanut butter for him. Well it turns out he doesn’t actually like it so I got to enjoy about half a dozen peanut butter and jelly crepes. Man that stuff is good. You realize how good it really is when you don't eat it for a year.

Friday happened to be the exact date that I went into the MTC a year ago. To celebrate it, I decided to do one of the most American things I could think, for lunch we ate at a Chinese buffet. Man that stuff is good. And this wasn't any of that Panda Express Chinese food, which I learned Chinese people like to make fun of Americans for calling it real Chinese food, but some real Chinese food. After eating 6ish plates of food later, we hobbled out of there and couldn't do a ton of walking for the next hour. Definitely going back to that place again. 

The rest of the week we did a lot of contacting on the street. One really cool thing that did happen was we were walking down the street and this guy comes running out of a store asking what we did. Somehow people just know we talk about Jesus without reading our name tags. We ended up talking with him for the next 20 minutes and giving him a Book of Mormon and teaching him the Restoration. He said he had tried all the different religions and hadn't found the right one for him yet. It’s always pretty cool when things like that happen as a missionary.  Let’s hope for the best with him.

That about wraps it up here. Hope everyone has a great week and you can hear from me at the same time and same place next week. Bye!

EBW











video