Monday, February 1, 2016

Strollin' in Lyon-in - Week 34

Alright, alright. I know that title is a little bit of a stretch but you have to make things rhyme. It's a lot more catchy that way. Anyways, this week features a lot of stuff happening in Lyon and well, that's about it!

This week actually does start off in Chalon. One night we got a text from one of our friends here asking if we could help him do an experiment for a PhD he is doing here. He even said he would make us dinner. What a nice guy. We walked over to his place that night and he set up all his stuff for us. So he's doing his PhD in like technology and human interactions or something so he had us put on these 3D glasses where I could only see blue and my comp could only see red and we had to basically play Pacman but with no ghosts and my comp could see all the invisible stuff that slows me down and I was just supposed to collect these mushrooms and we're supposed to be talking the whole time. Anyways, basically we did these experiments for him and I am proud to say that normally it takes about 300 seconds for the average person but my comp and I beat the record twice and did it in 150 seconds. Gold star for me? We ended up eating some pretty good Asian food with him, which is hard to come by here, and we taught him about the Restoration. Cool. Cool cool cool.

The next morning we headed down to Lyon with the Snows, the Senior Couple, to go to Zone Conference. It always makes for a good time hanging out with a bunch of missionaries for the day. Well for part of the conference, President Brown took us to this amphitheater up on one of the hills in Lyon. The place was actually built in 12 BC. Yeah you read that right, 12. As in 1-2. That blows away the church from the 1200's or whenever it was that I was at a few months ago. It had a really nice overview of the city and pictures will come soon. But he basically talked to us for a little while, had the dying testimonies, (no they're not actually going to die but it's mission slang for those missionaries that are going home and this is their last Zone Conference so they get the chance to talk to everyone) and sang our mission song in the amphitheater. Apparently it has perfect acoustics there? I'm not sure, you might have to ask a music major on that one. Afterwards, I stayed in Lyon for the day on an exchange with the Mandarin companionship.

After finishing up the conference, Elder Bleak, pronounced like Blake which always screws me up, and I headed out to meet up with one of their Chinese investigators. Basically our objective for the day was to just hang out with the guy because they hadn't seen him in a while and they needed to get in contact with him. He asked a little about me and when I said I hadn't ever really looked around Lyon and that this was one of my first times in Lyon, he promptly wanted to show me around. So that's exactly what we did. We hit a couple cathedrals and walked along the Rhone River and went and saw the Hôtel de Ville, which is a really cool one to look up if you have time, and a couple other famous places around. And yes Mom, I got some good pictures of a lot of them. After the investigator left to go to work, we went contacting for a little while. Now since this was the Chinese companionship, literally what we did was go and find people who are Chinese. So we got on the metro and rode around for a while pretending we weren't racial profiling everyone we saw even though that's exactly what we did. This is usually how a conversation would go down with them. I would go up to someone and speak a little French, pretend I was really bad, asked if they spoke English, talked for a little while, asked where they were from and when they said China, I would throw out the one Chinese phrase I know and then Bleak would actually talk to them in Chinese. After that, I felt like I was a new missionary again and had no idea what was going on. I definitely don't miss those days.

The next morning we woke up and had set up some badminton games to play with some Chinese investigators they have. Now let me tell you, if you are as inexperienced as I am at badminton, you (insert clever saying that implies that I got beat badly at badminton) but really though, these guys were like 2/3 my height and we're making me work at it and they weren't even looking tired. Luckily we played a little basketball afterwards and you can guess who had the advantage with that one. (If you guessed the Chinese, you're wrong.) After getting worked, we went back and one of the guys from China made us some really good Chinese food.

That basically sums up the week. I'm actually heading back to Lyon today for a P-day with the zone. What I'm most excited about is that we're going to ride the Ferris wheel there. Definitely taking a selfie while at the top. But I'll be in Lyon Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and maybe next Monday so I hope to share with you my escapades there later. Anyways, thanks for the support and I love you all! Catch you again next week.

Same time, same place.

Elder Wilson