Monday, January 4, 2016

Chalon-Sur-Saone - Week 30

This email is going to be a quick one this week because I don't have a ton of time since I actually got transferred this week to this city called Chalon just above Lyon so I literally took a train across the entire mission today. That's about 10 hours on train for those of you wondering at home. But yeah, the new city should shake things up and should be fun!

Now this week features going grocery shopping with one of our investigators again. That always turns into a fun time. Somehow we end up with like 3 bags of groceries and I'm not sure how she was able to carry those by herself before our help. Some things in this world will just go unanswered. But afterwards she bought this new raclette grill that she wanted to use with us and so naturally we said yes. But for those Americans wondering, raclette is basically when you take some potatoes and pour cheese all over them and eat them with grilled meat. It's delicious. After stuffing ourselves full, we headed out and cleaned the church for a little while.

We were invited over to this less active's house for New Year's Eve and he had a friend come over as well. His friend's hobby is cooking so it made for a great night. Like I'm talking four courses and some of them looked like the fancy kind of plates with like lettuce underneath everything and there was even caviar that was featured. Along with duck and the normal fois gras. Just the French way I guess. But we actually ended up giving the less active a blessing and after working with him for the entire 6 months I was there, he finally came back to church for my last week. Basically the best thing that could have happened for my last week there. His nickname for me is actually little Blake too. Not sure where he got the little from ...

Also at church I had one of those moments that reminded me why I am on a mission. So it was testimony meeting during Sacrament and one of the members got up to talk for a bit and she had been the member that I had been with probably the most in Agen. We would usually go to her house every Friday and we spent a lot of time with her family and trying to work with her husband to come to church. But basically she got up and started to just talk about how much she appreciated missionaries and thanked me for everything I had done and started crying. One of those heart wrenching things since I knew I was going to leave the next day.

But besides all that, I rang a Catholic Church bell this week and that basically concludes my ramblings for the week. Chalon is turning out to be great so far so we will see what the future has in store. Enjoy some pics of my new area.

Love,

Blake



Inline image 4


Inline image 2


Inline image 5




Chalone1


Inline image 6
Displaying image.png