Monday, December 14, 2015

Selfies with Santa - Week 27

Christmas time is almost upon us and let me tell you, America has nothing on France when it comes to Christmas. Like every store has a Christmas tree out front and they hang fake presents and bows all over the place and there are street vendors all over the downtown selling Christmas stuff. It's pretty cool. Outside one of the Cathedrals here, they set up an ice skating rink which is pretty great. You can also find Santa roaming the streets along with a snowman and an elf. But I'll get to that later.

This week I actually hit my 6 months out on my mission. In 6th months I've visited the vineyards of Bordeaux, the famous Lion in Lyon, and the rocky beaches of Nice, I've been able to somewhat learn French, I probably know the city of Agen more then anyone else in the entire country, I've seen people's live change because of the gospel, I've somehow kept up my journal every single day since August 1st, I've been in lock down from terrorist attacks and this is only the beginning of this adventure. But really though, it's been the quickest 6 months of my entire life and it's going to be crazy to see what the future holds. 

Earlier this week we went on an exchange with the Zone Leaders up in Bordeaux. Steinbock stayed there for the day and I took Elder Price back down to Agen with me. He is actually from a city not too far from where I live and so it was really fun to talk to someone who understands the whole Utah high school thing because if you haven't live through it, you just don't understand. He is a really cool dude to hang out with all day. After we had taught a couple lessons to some of my investigators, we took off contacting for a few hours in the middle of town. After a while, we saw Santa hanging out right next to us, so being the 21st century kids we are, we pulled out our iPads and got our selfie for the week with him. The only problem is that I was a good foot and a half taller than Santa. At least it worked out in the end. The area that my branch here in Agen covers is pretty big. Like it takes over 2 hours to get from one side to the other and since only like 25% of the members actually live in Agen, we do a branch meal after one Sunday in December instead of a ward Christmas party like normal wards do. Well since it was the meal for Christmas, everyone brought entirely too much food. Like I'm talking at least 6 different courses of stuff. But after eating all that, I learned that foie gras, or duck liver for you Americans, is actually really good. You really have to try it though.

But besides that stuff, we taught some lessons, walked around a lot and enjoyed the Christmas music being played on the streets. I hope you all have a great start to the Christmas season and good luck with those of you taking finals this week. I know the pain. 

Take care kids!