Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Off to Grandmother's House We Go! - Week 18

So this week didn't actually consist of going to any grandmother's house but we did go through a forest just like Little Red Riding Hood. No wolves this time though. But it's been a decently busy week anyway so let's get this thing rolling.

This week, the circus decided to roll into town. One day this park in the city was just a normal park and then the next day, an entire circus just came to town and set up shop. And not like an ordinary circus, either. This thing came rolling in with at least a dozen semi trucks worth of stuff and animals ranging from kangaroos to camels to tigers and ostriches. Which I did in fact see all of those just passing by. But only in France would you have a circus like this come and go. I'm pretty sure everything is getting packed up and shipped out tomorrow. Just a normal day in Agen, apparently!

I have to correct a mistake from last week. I didn't actually go to Mezin three weeks in a row like I said. This week does make it three in a row and 4 out of 5 weeks, though. My mistake. And yes, I did figure it out on my own thanks. But as mentioned previously, we went back out to Mezin this week to be with the part member family there. Sadly this time didn't involve any grape picking or sheep eating but we did venture out into the forest. So flashback to last week where the dad was cooking food and said he was using mushrooms that he had picked from a forest nearby and my comp said he would love to do that sometime. So we got to their house this week and what was the first thing the dad wanted us to do? Go mushroom hunting in the woods. There we were in all our missionary getup trudging through the forest looking for a certain kind of mushroom. We were in fact successful and did make some omelets with our new finds afterwards. Can't get any fresher than that. And luckily none of the mushrooms were poisonous and I am indeed still alive. But sadly, we didn't find grandma's house in there.

Also this week, we passed by to say "hi" to this family from Algeria who we met knocking on doors a few weeks ago. We sat and actually talked with them for a while about their families and gave them a book so they could write about stories about their family and they invited us back the next Saturday to eat with them. So naturally, being missionaries and being offered free food, we said yes! Then later that week we returned to their place to see an entire feast laid before us. And this wasn't just any regular food, this was some authentic Algerian food! Note to my mom, learn to cook some Algerian food because it's becoming some of my favorite. They fed us so much that I don't think I've ever eaten that much food for one meal on my mission. Not everyday do you get to eat food from the Middle East. It was delicious!

This week happened to be the last week of the transfer so on Friday morning, we got a call from our President telling us what are next assignments were. Here's a little bit how the conversation went:

*phone rings and I pick it up*

Me - "Hello this is Elder Wilson."

Pres - "Hey Elder Wilson how are you?"

Me - "I'm doing just great. Thanks for asking."

Pres - "Glad to hear that. Well looks like you will be staying in Agen for another transfer and getting Elder Steinbock as your new companion."

Me - "Awesome. Sounds great! Love you and talk to you soon."

He then talks to my comp about his next assignment. Not too exciting right? Yeah I know. But now imagine doing that about 200 more times for every missionary in the mission. He had a long morning ahead of him.

With getting a new companion, I got to go to Toulouse for the day. And by saying go to Toulouse, I mean I sat in the train station in Toulouse waiting for my new companion to come from across the mission. So after sitting around for almost 5 hours, we were on our way back to Agen.

Besides that, we went out to Colayrac again and did a bunch of porting and generally just talked to a bunch of people this week and taught a bunch of lessons. It was just a pretty successful week all around.

Thanks for everyone who writes me. It's the best getting new emails every week. 

Love you all!

Elder Wilson



In the forest ...


... hunting for mushrooms!


Overlooking Agen